As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all of our training events for March, April and May are now deferred. We will continue to monitor the situation over the coming weeks and are looking at solutions to deliver our training. Please follow HSE guidelines to protect yourself and others.
emodule courses will go ahead as planned.
Dementia Friendly Gardening Workshop
This practical, hands-on workshop will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to support a person with dementia to engage in gardening activities, and maximise the therapeutic benefits of nature and gardening for them.
It includes a demonstration of potting and planting, the presentation of a wide range of dementia friendly plants, and discussion about how to choose the right plant for each activity. The gardening activities are designed for Irish weather and can be carried out indoors if required.
The benefits of dementia-friendly garden activities
- Provides gentle sensory, social and cognitive stimulation
- Increases well being, reduces stress, and improves orientation to time and place
- Provides opportunities to enjoy the therapeutic effects of nature
- Reminds a person of familiar roles and memories
- Helps maintain flexibility and muscle tone
- Familiarity with the key principles underpinning dementia friendly gardening
- How to prepare and carry out potting and planting activities with a person with dementia
- Choosing plants that are dementia friendly and fit for purpose
- Maximising the sensory and therapeutic benefits of nature and gardening, and using the garden to maintain flexibility and muscle tone
- Using gardening and engagement with nature to increase well being, reduce stress and improve orientation to time and place