In this workshop we will explore how create a beautiful small scale dementia friendly garden suitable for a window box, planter or small flowerbed. Our host Joyce Fitzpatrick is a qualified Social and Therapeutic Horticulturist and will show how to grow lots of colourful plants easily on a budget for delight all Summer through! Joyce will use her knowledge of sensory enriching plants to help you select ones to support physical and psychological well being. She will be also on hand to give tips on how to improve the garden that you already have.
The outdoors provides a wide range of opportunities for engagement, occupation and activity for a person with dementia.
The benefits of dementia-friendly garden activities:
- Provides gentle sensory, social and cognitive stimulation
- Increases well being, reduces stress, and improves orientation to time and place
- Provides opportunities to enjoy the therapeutic effects of nature
- Reminds a person of familiar roles and memories
- Helps maintain flexibility and muscle tone